“PRACTICE TIPS FROM A PARENT"
from an interview by Beth Smith, Educational Resource Specialist
In an interview with Mrs. "A.", mother
of three successful Music Place students,
Resource Specialist Beth Smith
gleans the following practice tips that have worked for her kids--
- Make practice time a habit: every day, same time
- Recommends morning before school – that way they don't have to do it after school when they are tired
- Make task part of chore list and connected to their weekly allowance
- Have older kids help younger kids (offer an incentive which pays off right away)
- Keep expectations reasonable and age and level appropriate (such as “play each assignment 4 times”);
- Increase practice goals as they mature and progress
- Keep in mind: we most enjoy the things we are good at!
She goes on to comment that parents who are too lax about helping their kids develop good practice habits undermine their own investment; parents need to be as committed as the student, or even more so. I tell my kids, "I am giving you a tool in your toolbox for life” by having you take music lessons. It's up to you what you decide to do with it when you grow up.
“I wish my parents would have done this for
- Incentives are okay! Just like adults, kids feel good when they experience payoff for their hard work. Not every expected behavior in life should be externally rewarded, but it's helpful for tasks that are challenging.
- Eventually you won't need to offer rewards – the joy of
proficiency will become a reward in itself.
Mrs."A"'s kids started at The Music Place in 2008 when her oldest daughter was 4 years old. All three continue to progress and impress audiences when they perform.
Last Modified: 2013.10.05T00:01:40
Actual Customer Testimonials:
"We have recommended to many of our friends. We love the place. It has totally helped our daughter to not only know the notes but to truly have fun with them! We love the teacher(s) and wish them all the very best. - " -- Happy parents
"Our daughter, Melissa, loves her music class, and she looks forward to the recitals. She's made friends and become more confident. We'd recommend the Music Place to anyone. -- Melissa's parents, Kathy & Matt, Los Gatos" .
I tell everyone who will listen about the amazing introduction to music that our daughter is getting with the Music Place. People are always amazed when a 3-year old explains that she played an oboe last week and is going to play a piccolo next week! Most importantly, our daughter can't wait for music class & asks to go every day. -- The Pace Family